Saturday, March 4, 2017

52 Ancestors, Week 9: Francesco aka Francis Gallacci

 I’m slightly late with my post this week, but here is my week 9 post for my 52 Ancestors in 2017 challenge. This week I want to talk about Francesco Gallacci, a son of Elpidio Gallacci and Fravolina Orsi. There is a little confusion about the name of his parents. I have a death record for Francis Gallacci which lists his parents as Cetechio Gallacio and Frazolina Orsi; close!

Clip from Death Certificate for Francis Gallaccia - 14 June 1919
 The birth date for Frances listed as 4 Mar 1914 on his death certificate, and I have a baptismal record for Francesco Gallacci which gives a birthdate of 3 Mar 1914 with his parents listed as Elpidio/Oppitio Gallacci and Fravolina Orsi. This record is a transcription of the original baptism register, which was proof read and correct in Jul 1979.   The proofreader made corrections and notes that the transcriber often confused ‘a’ and ‘o’. The transcriber wrote the father’s name as ‘Oppitio’ and the proofreader corrected the name to read ‘Elpidio’.  Francesco was baptized 23 May 1915 at St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church, the same church in which his parents were married. His Godparents were Angelo Alfieri and Rosalia Motta.

Baptism of Francesco Gallacci - 23 May 1915 - St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church

Francis died at age 5 on 29 Jul 1919 at Isolation Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri. The cause of death is listed as diptheria with acute myocarditis listed as a contributory cause. He was buried in Calvary Cemetery in St. Louis, as were other members of the Gallacci family.

As with his sister Fara, there are a few records I could search for to confirm his parents’ names. I found Francesco in the birth record index for St. Louis city, so I could request a copy of the record. I could also look for funeral home records or cemetery records, but chances are they would just duplicate the information on the death certificate. As I mentioned when I talked about Fara, I will probably delay searching for these records as Francis is not part of my direct line. However, if you are researching this line and have these records, I’d love to see them!

​Sources

  • GALLACCIO, Elpidio - ORSI, Fravolina, “Marriage - Church Record,” 20 Feb 1912, St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church, St. Louis, Missouri, “St. Louis Archdiocesan Parish Records”, St. Louis County Library, St. Louis, Missouri, Roll 50, FHL microfilm 1870931, 24 Jan 2017.
  • GALLACCI, Francis, “Baptism - Church Record,” 23 May 1915, St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church, St. Louis, Missouri, “St. Louis Archdiocesan Parish Records”, St. Louis County Library, St. Louis, Missouri, Roll 49, FHL microfilm 1870930, 24 Jan 2017.
  • GALLACCI, Frances, “Death Certificate,” 24024, 29 Jul 1919, St. Louis City, Missouri, http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/deathcertificates/, downloaded 24 Nov 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to My Family Trees and Branches Blog

 I decided it was time to add a blog to this page, to provide general updates to what I've been doing with my family history research. I...